Friday, September 24, 2010

On Death and Dying: Part 2

While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil. ~John Taylor

Here I sit in my living room typing this surrounded by toys and clothes scattered all over the floor and the couch. I could be upset, but this just means that there are signs of life in my house. I could clean it up, but I am too lazy.

In my last post I discussed two recent deaths and last night just spoke of one. This death weighs heavily on my heart and I wish I could be in Oregon to give my good friend L a tight squeeze and the assurance that she can get through anything. On Sept 21, (which also happens to be my sister-in-law Kellie's birthday), L's younger (and only) sister passed away from complications from breast cancer. I read the news on L's FB and I literally had to sit down and weep for my friend. I had only met her sister, M, a few times, but I knew how much L loved her and how much she'd help out her sister by watching her kids while she went to chemo or when she was too tired. M was only 28 or 29 when she passed and I think the most terrible thing is that she left behind two tiny children. I think her son was four and her daughter two. I weep for her husband and how he is going to deal with the rest of his life as a widower and as a single parent. There are really no words to describe the sorrow I feel for my friend and her family right now. L had just gotten engaged and now I'm sure it will be a bittersweet wedding.
On a happier side-note: Here's a little fun fact about the Smalleys: L is the one responsible for getting Kai and me together. So depending on how our relationship is going, L was a either a Godsend or L was the Devil. Actually I am forever indebted to this brave, amazing, hilarious woman.
I don't get to see L as much as I want to, what with her traveling and living in the South (Tulsa and Vandy). I always wanted her to come back so we could all raise our kids next to each other with Natalie and Casey and take them to John Mayer at the Gorge concerts. She is one of the best friends I have and whenever I do get to talk to her, even it it's been months, it always feels like I talked to her yesterday and we can pick up right where we left off. So Liz, I just want to let you know again, how much I love you. The first year (or two) sucks so bad because it seems like people want to you be over it already. But grieving takes its own time. One suggestion that I have would be to take a grief group. My mom, and my friend R's mom took an adult one and my little sis, R's little bro, and our friend C took a teen class. It was very therapeutic so basically all we'd do was go in there and cry and talk about our loved one.
PS Kai wore his pink breast cancer pin on his label at his football game in honor of your sister. Please call me anytime, I'd love to talk to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment